The Detroit Local Section of the American Chemical Society has a host of great chemists deserving of recognition. Regional Awards will be presented at the CERM2023 Award Banquet on Thursday, June 22, 2023. The names and descriptions of each award are given below, please take the time to nominate a worthy colleague for one of these prestigious awards. Tickets to the Awards Banquet (6 - 9 pm) may be purchased through the CERM 2023 registration site.
Stanley C. Israel Award for Advancing Diversity in the Chemical Sciences
Sponsored by the ACS Committee on Minority Affairs
The Stanley C. Israel Regional Award recognizes individuals and/or institutions that have advanced diversity in the chemical sciences and significantly stimulated or fostered activities that promote inclusiveness within the region.
The Stanley C. Israel Regional Award consists of a medal and a $1,000 grant to support and further the activities for which the award was made. The award also will include funding to cover the recipient’s travel expenses to the ACS regional meeting at which the award will be presented.
Who is eligible? Nominees may come from academia, industry, government, or independent entities, and may also be organizations, including ACS Local Sections and Divisions. The nominee must have created and fostered ongoing programs or activities that result in increased numbers of persons from diverse and underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, or women who participate in the chemical enterprise.
Deadline March 1, 2023
The ACS Division of Chemical Education Regional Award for Excellence in High School Teaching
To recognize, encourage, and stimulate outstanding teachers of high school chemistry in the Central Region.
Who is Eligible? The nominee must be actively engaged in the teaching of chemistry or a chemical science in a high school (grades 9-12) on at least a half-time basis. The nomination should clearly demonstrate as many of the following attributes as possible:
· The quality of the nominee’s teaching; unusually effective methods of presentation should be emphasized;
· The nominee’s ability to challenge and inspire students;
· Extracurricular work in chemistry or a chemical science by the nominee, including science fairs, science clubs, and activities that stimulate the interest of young people in chemistry and related sciences;
· A willingness to keep up-to-date in the field, as evidenced by the pursuit of a higher degree in chemistry or a chemical science, enrollment in refresher courses and summer institutes, regular attendance at scientific meetings, membership in professional organizations, and other means of self-improvement;
· Evidence of leadership and/or active involvement within the profession.
Deadline April 14, 2023
The E. Ann Nalley Central Region Award for Volunteer Service to the American Chemical Society
To recognize the volunteer efforts of individuals who have served the American Chemical Society, contributing significantly to the goals and objectives of the Society through their Regional Activities.
This award was instituted in 2006 by ACS President E. Ann Nalley as part of her presidential initiative to recognize ACS volunteerism. It was Dr. Nalley’s wish that the award continue in perpetuity at each regional meeting. The award consists of a plaque honoring the recipient with an imbedded medallion commemorating Dr. Nalley.
Deadline April 14, 2023